Thursday, March 8, 2012

redux: the power of vulnerability

I spent my life learning to feel less. Every day I felt less. Is that growing old? Or is it something worse? You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness. 
-JSF, ELIC
I'm a cryer.  Maudlin.  Tears start flowing the moment sleep-deprivation, super-stress or anything semi-emotional sets in.  Resultantly, I often find myself in a vulnerable place when I don't want to be.  Lately I've become irked and repulsed by this pattern.  In these instances I'm overcome by waves of frustration, loathing my lack of control over my emotional barometer and it's outpouring.  So, I've started to try and shut it down sometimes - to shut out feelings, in exchange for vacancy, or anger.
This morning -- I'm grateful for this video (that I earmarked months ago, but just got around to viewing).  It's a powerful reminder that we all feel and express our vulnerability at different times and in different ways.  And most of all, we're well served when we embrace, walk through and grow from those moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment