Thursday, September 17, 2015

Why we walk: Because the Alzheimer's Association is a lifeline

{at the Portland Head Lighthouse, as we are currently on vacation in Maine!}
Confession: I really hate fundraising and asking for support. It just isn't my forte, no matter how much I believe in the cause. Additionally, I've worked at multiple non-profits throughout my career, and while I have the utmost respect for the important work and dedicated people at these orgs, it has led me to have direct observations of some of the flaws that can undergird the structure of many non-profits. (Kind of makes me think of that quote about not watching directly about how sausages/legislation are made. Sometimes non-profit works feel similar.)

So, all of that to say, while I do feel like a reluctant advocate and fundraiser, every year here Mom and I speak up in September, going headlong into the interwebs, trying to raise a steady voice about this cause. And we also, wholeheartedly believe in the important work of the Alzheimer's Association.

We walk because we believe in all of the good work of the Alzheimer's association. We have experienced it firsthand. The Alzheimer's association runs support groups for individuals with early-onset Alzheimer's. Mom participated in a group in the Spring of 2013, and it was a space for her to talk openly (without me or other caregivers) about the frustrations and challenges of the illness. She continues to go to monthly lunches organized as a continuation/outlet for participants of that group.

Additionally, the Alzheimer's Association connected us with the Sanders Brown Center on aging where Mom is now a participant in a clinical trial. Mom's participation in this research not only helps her receive medication which may delay the progression of the illness, but it also allows her to commit to research in a tangible way, through her annual participation in a memory clinic in addition to the clinical trial. We won't find a cure for the disease without connecting individuals (and their children, more on that next week...) to research programs, and the Alzheimer's Association is the primary agent for connecting families to opportunities across the country.

Lastly, the Alzheimer's Association doesn't just help individuals with Alzheimer's; it provides services to the entire family. When Mom was initially diagnosed, I was able to attend an all-day workshop which provided helpful information -- including a medical presentation from a leading neurologist in Lexington, a session on legal rights and suggested next steps from a respected lawyer in town, and a session on caregiving from an experienced social worker. This was a huge help when I was trying to navigate those first days and determine my initial steps.

Presently, I've just started participating in a support group for caregivers under the age of forty. Since early-onset is more of a rarity (and even still, many primary caregivers are older spouses), it's been hard for me to attend support groups and find individuals who can connect with the demands that come with caregiving in my season of life. Thankfully, the Alzheimer's Association has heard this feedback from folks like me across the country, and (thanks to an initiation/support from Hilarity for Charity) has started up Google+ support groups for young caregivers. Although they have just started, I'm immensely grateful for the space thy have created for me to begin connecting with others who are fighting similar beasts.

Tangent --> but did you catch the interview between Stephen Colbert and Joe Biden last week? If not, I highly recommend watching. I thought it was so generous of Vice President Biden to both acknowledge the gratitude he had for his family and friends who rallied around him, while also being cognizant of others suffering and potentially lacking in similar support. That theme - that we need to give thanks for our community, while also ensuring that we can help others in need have access to these life-savers when they are barely able to keep their head above the swell, is why we walk. The Alzheimer's Association is a great organization, one that has been incredibly helpful to us. But I imagine there are others with less support to which they are an absolute necessity, and I am proud to work alongside Mom to raise awareness and funding for such an important organization. I hope you'll join us.

Reason #3: We walk because the Alzheimer's Association gives families and caregivers essential support in a time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment