Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The abandoned twist and the heave-ho

{a twist deferred. from the OWS library}
Ventured to NYC (bright lights, big city!) this past weekend  and decided to take in the OWC protest.  Thus, it was a bit sobering to see that the protesters were ousted in the darkness of last night, less than a hundred hours after I visited the site and spoke with some about their cause.

I'm generally reticent to quickly draw a line in the sand (especially in a forum like this) on where I stand on such highly politicized issues.  So in keeping with my normal mode of operation I don't feel a need to weigh in on my personal opinion of the overall validity and themes of the protest.

I just, I guess... I get that the protests can become health, security and sanitation nightmares for city officials and residents alike.  However, it seems pretty sketchy to shut them down in the middle of the night, and I feel like there's some level of using the legitimate potential for threats as a mechanism to silence the voices altogether.

Uncool.

No comments:

Post a Comment