Friday, February 10, 2012

Protestation-edition #1: My entire education feels like a fluke


DG: Are you double spacing after periods?
EM: yes
EM: why?
...
DG: You're only supposed to do one space.
EM: you're supposed to double-space!
DG: Some English teachers have been telling students that because you were supposed to because of the way typewriters worked, but that fact didn't carry over to computers.
DG: If it makes you feel better, I always double space, the first one in this paper just looked bigger and it made me think of that.
EM: !
EM: this is a total revelation to me
EM: you just turned the world upside down
DG: And actually, a lot of websites when you double space on them, they automatically compress it to one.
EM: I was about to be snarky and all like nuh-uh
DG: lol :)
EM: but, I googled it and you're RIGHT
DG: I figured you would be.
EM: (headbang)
...
EM: the thing is, we learned to type on computers!
EM: so why the hell did they ever teach us to double-space?
DG From teachers that learned on typewriters.
EM: worthless
DG: If you're like me, then you're going to be bothered by this revelation for a few weeks.  It was really annoying.
EM: I AM

{proof}

2 comments:

  1. 1. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT YOUR BLOG.
    2. I disagree and will double space after periods FOREVER. SEE. I love typewriters. The end. (double space)

    (this is claire, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am WITH YOU! To hell with Grammar Girl, AMA, MLA's wishy-washyness - and all those who try and promulgate anti-typwritery and single-space nonsense!

    I must point out though (as brought to my attention by my friend Daniel, who made the initial spacing-revelation and is one of the band of three (3!) people who read this blog) that blogspot auto-corrected your comment and my blog entry.

    All are single-spaced.

    bang.head.repeat.

    ReplyDelete