Thursday, September 29, 2011

Just because the birds are doing it...

...doesn't make it trendy or awesome.  (<--Life lesson of the day.)

Once when Charlie and I were in the midst of a heated conversation Charlie interjected 'Put your foot where your mouth is!!'

I gave him my 'that's not right' look and we burst into a fit of laughter and entered into a state of jocundity.  (<-- Eat that, GRE vocab section.)

Charlie's point was meant to be something along the lines of 'put your money where your mouth is.'  What emerged, however, has provided significant succor to our marriage.  Exclaiming 'Put your foot where your mouth is!'  has diffused many an argument, ameliorated tensions and helped us articulate our reticence in those moments of stupor where we're low-on-coffee intake or just plain speechless.

This past week, though, I have excelled at putting my foot where my mouth is unintentionally and in ways that aren't as humorous.

I've also been reading through Proverbs.  Even though it's chalk-full of what could be interpreted as passing quips, there are recurrent themes.  One of the most prominent of these themes is shutting your trap and thinking before your speak.

The tongue has the power of life and death,
   and those who love it will eat its fruit.  (18.21)


A gossip betrays a confidence;
   so avoid anyone who talks too much. (20.19)


The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint,
   and whoever has understanding is even-tempered. (17.27)


Sigh.  Not my strong suit... being patient and quiet or heeding what I read.  Putting my foot in my mouth, although it seems a bit awkward and uncomfortable, is way easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment